Monday, February 23, 2009

A Trip To the Lab For Clara

Thursday, January 29th


Clara has been having issues with her stools for, well, forever. We are starting some testing that is beginning with a blood test for Celiacs Disease. She had to go the lab to have her blood drawn today. They had to actually draw the blood from her arm instead of the finger prick that they do a lot for little ones. I had never experienced any of my kids having to have their blood drawn like an adult from the arm. When they put the tourniquet on her arm and started feeling in her 'reverse elbow' I realized how unnatural this all looked. I never think twice about it when they draw blood from my arm, but looking at this tiny little arm getting poked around just looked weird. Our kids are supposed to be completely healthy and you never want to think they would ever have anything wrong with them the would necessitate having their blood drawn...getting teeth is bad enough. It made me start to think of all of those families that go through this sort of thing all of the time with their very sick children. I pray for these families often because I can not imagine, nor do I want to. We were lucky to get Clara's results back within a few days and they came back negative. I hope this is the last time I ever have to take any of my kids to have their blood drawn like that.

Clara showing off her war wound. She was smiling just before this photo was taken...I think she was putting on a little bit of a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment